Thematic workshops - 3rd Mayors Summit on Living Together
A series of three thematic workshops took place on December 8, within the 3rd Mayors Summit on Living Together.
The second day of the Summit was organized around three thematic workshops which aimed to exchange on current trends and promising practices in cities.
The programme included the following workshops: 1) Building resilience in cities, 2) Fostering diversity, equity and inclusion and 3) Promoting dialogue and solidarity. These workshops gathered elected officials and practitioners from different cities, representatives of city networks, as well as academics (see detailed programme below).
Thematic workshop 1 : Building resilience in cities aimed to explore the role of urban resilience in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderation by Ms Güldem Özatağan (PhD), Visiting Research Fellow at NewCastle University.
- Mr. Sameh Wahba, Global Director, Urban, Disaster Risk Management, Resilience and Land Local Practice, World Bank -
- "Community Resilience Hubs" - Mr. Sidney Ribaux, Director of the Office of Ecological Transition and Resilience (BTER), Ville de Montréal -
- “Centre for Civic Innovation” - Mr. Stevie McGowan, Creative Design Lead, Centre for Civic Innovation, City of Glasgow (watch webinar)
Thematic workshop 2: Fostering diversity, equity and inclusion was an opportunity to discuss about the challenges related to discriminations and inequalities, highlighting the role of cities in the creation of inclusive environments.
Moderation by Dr. Lülüfer Körükmez, Researcher at Human Rights Foundation of Turkey (HRFT)
- Ms Sena Segbedzi, Coordinator, Champion Mayors for Inclusive Growth Initiative, OCDE
- Ms Linda Tinio, Coordinator, International Coalition of Inclusive and Sustainable Cities (ICCAR), UNESCO
- “Welcome Points” - Ms. Larissa Orlovic, Department for migration and integration, City of Düsseldorf -
- “City roadmap for the fight against racism and systemic discrimination” - Ms. Bochra Manaï, Commissioner at the Office of the fight against racism and systemic
discrimination, Ville de Montréal
- “Social policies of the Izmir metropolitan municipality” - Mr. Anil Kaçar, Head of Social Projects Department, Izmir Metropolitan Municipality
Conclusion by Mr. Cenk Saraçoğlu, Associate Professor, Faculty of Communication, Ankara University
Thematic workshop 3 : Promoting dialogue and solidarity was about the importance of developing a sense of belonging, through dialogue, solidarity and respect of diversity.
Moderation by Ms Begüm Özden Fırat, Professor in the Department of Sociology at the Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University
- “Action Plan on Living Together” - Ms. Iréna Florence Harris, Advisor on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Québec City
- “Social Mediation Projects” - Ms Nadia Zourgui, Deputy Mayor, City of Strasbourg
- “Ongoing Projects of the Urban Justice Department" - Ms. Yelda Şimşir, Manager of Urban Justice and Equality Directorate, İzmir Metropolitan Municipality
Conclusion by Mr. Ulas Bayraktar, Kültürhane, Mersin.
Organized by the Izmir Metropolitan Municipality, in cooperation with the International Observatory of Mayors on Living Together, the 3rd Mayors Summit on Living Together, took place on December 7, 8 and 10 2021.
Building on our previous dialogues, this Summit explored the current challenges and opportunities in cities terms of social cohesion and human rights in a context of global recovery from COVID-19.