First anniversary: welcome to 14 new member cities!
In the margin of the Metropolis and the AIMF Congress in Montréal, mayors and authorities of 14 cities from Africa, Europe, the Mediterranean region and the Americas officially joined the International Observatory of Mayors on Living Together.
On June 21, 2017, during a signing ceremony to commemorate the first anniversary of the official launch of the Observatory, Montréal mayor Denis Coderre warmly welcomed the new signers and Observatory members who were present for the occasion.
“I am honoured to welcome today to our city, on the occasion of its 375th anniversary, all my counterparts and friends who have travelled from the far reaches of our globe to share in our best practices of Living Together. Since holding the Living Together Summit exactly two years ago here in Montréal, 46 cities in more than 25 countries of Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas have joined the Observatory. I am quite proud to see our network grow and I would like to extend a special welcome to our new member cities,” said Montréal’s mayor, Denis Coderre.
The new signatories are :
- Mr. Abdelkader Zoukh, wali of Algiers (Algeria)
- Mr. Ziad Chebib, Governor of Beirut (Lebanon)
- Mr. Horacio Rodriguez Larreta, Mayor of Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Mr. Houssem Ben Sghaier, Mayor of Carthage (Tunisia)
- Mr. Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago (United States)
- Mr. Alexandre Cusson, Mayor of Drummondville (Canada)
- Mr. Grégoire Junod, Mayor of Lausanne (Switzerland)
- Ms Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda, Mayor of Libreville (Gabon)
- Ms Manuela Carmena, Mayor of Madrid (Spain)
- Mr. Armand Béouindé, Mayor of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
- Mr. Youri Chevry, Mayor of Port-au-Prince (Haiti)
- Mr. Mohamed Sadiki, Mayor of Rabat (Morocco)
- Mr. Roland Ries, Mayor of Strasbourg (France)
- Mr. Seïfallah Lasram, Mayor of Tunis (Tunisia)
Please note that the cities of Buenos Aires and Port-au-Prince are the first Observatory members in South America and the Caribbean, respectively.
We welcome all members, and are very happy to collaborate together within this initiative.
About the Observatory
The International Observatory of Mayors on Living Together is a unique platform for local governments. It was created to document new challenges and innovative best practices around Living Together on a global scale through close collaborations with universities and research centres of member cities.
One year after its launch, the Observatory already has around 40 practices in various categories of municipal action such as culture, immigration and social development. It also includes several original studies and case studies dealing with some of those initiatives. Since its Web site went online, it has been visited by thousands of users in nearly 1,000 cities and communities in more than 100 countries around the world.